To implement this range of measures, the Government approved the drafting of the first ever piece of public health legislation to address the problem – the Public Health (Alcohol) Bill. The package of measures is based on the 2012 Substance Misuse Report.
The key measure approved by the Government is the drafting a Public Health (Alcohol) Bill to provide for:
- Minimum unit pricing for retailing of alcohol products
- Regulation of marketing and advertising of alcohol, specifically to
- Enforcement powers will be given to Environmental Health Officers in relation
- Structural Separation of alcohol from other products in mixed trading outlets. T
- Regulation of sports sponsorship
- Health labelling of alcohol products