These codes complement the ASAI Code, and specifically address the placement and volume of alcohol advertisements and alcohol sponsorship, with a view to limiting the exposure to alcohol marketing of those under 18.
The codes on placement and sponsorship include the following provisions:
- No alcohol advertisement can appear where more than 25% of the audience is under the age of 18
- Only one in four advertisements on any medium can be for alcohol
- No alcohol advertisements in Ireland can appear during children’s programming or in media specifically aimed at children
- No alcohol sponsorship of any sports broadcast is allowed
- No outdoor advertisement for alcohol can be placed within 100 meters of a school or youth group.
The mandatory CopyClear pre-vetting facility for alcohol advertisements is incorporated into this expanded code structure.