Under the code, which is overseen by the Responsible Retailers of Alcohol in Ireland (RRAI):
- all alcohol products may only be sold in one part of the store and in an area through which, insofar as is practical, shoppers do not have to pass through to access other products
- in-store advertising of alcohol is limited to that area, where the alcohol is displayed and not in windows. Further, any advertising by retailers must not seek to glamorise alcohol consumption or appeal to minors
- only staff members aged 18 or over are allowed to sell alcohol, and alcohol cannot be purchased at self-service tills or on a pay-on-delivery basis
- all customers who appear to be under the age of 21 must be asked to produce proof-of-age documentation, with the preferred form of identification: the Garda Age Card.
Read the full RRAI code below.
- RRAI_Code_of_Practice.pdf (162kb)